* PAST OFFICES HELD: Associate professor of graduate education at
Pepperdine University, foreign service officer for the U.S. Department of
State; board member for the California Community College Commission on
Athletics; vice president of South California Community College Chief
Executive Offices Board; board member of the El Viento Foundation; board
member of the Huntington Beach Chamber of Commerce and for the Huntington
* EXPLAIN YOUR JOB IN 15 WORDS OR FEWER: Provide leadership for Golden
West College while representing the Coast Community College District
Board of Trustees in Huntington Beach
* YOUR GREATEST ACHIEVEMENT: Meeting my wife, Donna, and representing the
United States abroad as a foreign service officer
* PERSONAL MOTTO: "Do the very best you can, and be satisfied with your
* MOST HUMBLING MOMENT: When I was a high school assistant football coach
many years ago, our team was predicted to be the best in our conference.
I joked and bragged to a fellow coach about how badly we were going to
beat his team, which was predicted to be among the worst teams in our
conference. The supposedly worst team beat our supposedly best team by
more than 14 points in the second game of the season. After the game, my
fellow coach shook my hand and said nothing.
* YOUR GREATEST EXTRAVAGANCE: Buying and eating good chocolate
* THE MOST INFLUENTIAL BOOK YOU'VE READ: Jose Vasconcellos' "La Raza
Cosmica" (The Cosmic Race)
* WHAT CASSETTES OR COMPACT DISCS ARE IN YOUR CAR RIGHT NOW? Andrea
Bocelli, The Four Freshmen, Gloria Estefan and Mario Lanza
* WHICH PHRASE DO YOU OVERUSE? "Good for You!"
* WHAT CAN YOU COOK? I can boil eggs and prepare sandwiches.
* YOUR LAST CHARITABLE ACT: Volunteered at the Oak View school to help a
* AS A CHILD, WHAT DID SCHOOLMATES TEASE YOU ABOUT? My long neck
* WHAT IS IN YOUR CAR TRUNK RIGHT NOW? Emergency kit and a flashlight
* THE FIRST THING THAT ATTRACTED YOU TO YOUR PARTNER OR SPOUSE: Her
smile, warmth and pleasant manner
* THE WORST IDEA YOU EVER HAD: To apply for a job in La Paz, Bolivia
* WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE BEEN VOTED IN HIGH SCHOOL: Mr. Nice Guy
* WHO ARE YOUR HEROES? Franklin D. Roosevelt, Martin Luther King Jr.,
Cesar Chavez and Robert F. Kennedy
* FAVORITE ESCAPE FROM REALITY: Reading
* ONE THING YOU WOULD CHANGE ABOUT THE WORLD IF YOU COULD: We should all
have access to a political democracy and the ability to provide for
oneself and one's family.
* YOUR IDEA OF EXERCISE: Walking, shooting hoops or doing yard work
* WHAT DO YOU DISLIKE MOST ABOUT YOUR APPEARANCE? The excess folds of
skin near and about my face and neck
* I HAVE A DREAM THAT: Everyone will have a decent home, food and someone
who cares about them.