Vikings rally to keep season alive

Marina softball team scores three runs with two out in seventh to stun Trabuco Hills in CIF second-round game.

May 27, 2010|By Mike Sciacca

"One, we are the Mustangs. Two, we still can't hear you. Three, a little bit louder...we are number one."

The cheer, shouted loud, proud and in unison from the Trabuco Hills dugout, turned out to be premature.

At the time, though, the Mustangs had the right to be feeling pretty confident, playing on the road and holding a 2-0 lead over Marina with two out — and the third out just a pitch away — in the bottom of the sixth inning of Tuesday's CIF Southern Section Division I softball second-round playoff game.

In the end, though, it was a completely different story as the entire Trabuco dugout stared out onto the field in silent disbelief.

Marina parlayed a lead-off single and a pair of quirky infield grounders in the bottom of the seventh into three runs with two out to pull out a 3-2 victory to keep its season alive.


The outcome even stunned Marina Coach Shelly Luth.

"You know what?," she asked before revealing the answer. "Last night (Monday), we had our team banquet and everyone was saying it was a bad omen to have the banquet before the season was over. But this has been such a unique year for us and we talked last night about giving it our all, down to the last out. And today, it went down to that."

Tuesday's improbable win sends Sunset League co-champion Marina (22-8) onto a quarterfinal round game at 2 p.m. today against Santa Margarita (Trinity League No. 2). The game time was changed to accommodate Santa Margarita's prom.

Marina hit well (the Vikings had five hits) against Trabuco ace Kayla Massey (22-3), but couldn't come up with "that clutch hit," Luth said. They Vikings, who had runners in scoring position for three straight innings but couldn't put a run across, finally found it in the seventh.

Lana Rutkin started the Marina half of the seventh with a single that hugged the third-base line and reached the outfield. Two outs later, Sandy Simmons drew a walk. Shannon Simmons followed and hit a high chopper toward the mound. Massey tried to make a play but the ball glanced off her glove. Shannon Simmons was safe at first and Rutkin scored to pull the Vikings within 2-1.

With Jamie Sullivan now at the plate, Massey threw wild and Sandy Simmons scored from third to tie the score. Sullivan then sent a 2-1 pitch toward first, where the ball deflected off the top of the glove of Trabuco first baseman Ashlyn Campbell and trickled to Campbell's right. Shannon Simmons was waved home from second by Luth and scored the winning run.

Huntington Beach Independent Articles Huntington Beach Independent Articles