SANTA ANA — The man accused in Orange County's deadliest shooting rampage will be represented by a public defender.
Scott Evans Dekraai, 42, told Judge Erick L. Larsh in a brief court appearance Monday that he could not afford his own legal counsel. He had been represented in an Oct. 14 court appearance by a family lawyer.
Public defender Scott Sanders has taken over for his Dekraai's defense.
Senior Deputy District Attorney Scott Simmons, the co-prosecutor, said the change of attorneys will not delay the proceedings.
Dekraai is scheduled to be arraigned Nov. 29 in Orange County Superior Court.
Sanders would not comment on the case or say whether the court has allowed Dekraai, a Huntington Beach resident, to take his anti-psychotic medications or use a spinal cord stimulator to ease pain from his 2007 boating accident.
"I know that people are experiencing tremendous pain, and it's very sad," Sanders said in an interview. "But I don't want to disrespect this whole process or talk about a case that I'm just coming to at the earliest point."