Advertisement

Plumber's torch blamed for fire

January 25, 2012
(Courtesy Huntington…)

Heat from a plumber's torch accidentally started the fire at a Huntington Beach apartment last week that displaced four families, damaged one unit and caused water and smoke damage to three others, said Deputy Fire Marshal Jeff Lopez.

Fire crews responded to the fire at 7932 Stark Drive, Unit 6 shortly before 6 p.m. Jan. 18 to find the blaze had extended to the bedroom and bathroom of the apartment.

The fire was contained within 25 minutes and no one was injured; the three other apartments sustained damage from smoke and/or water, Lopez said. It is estimated that the fire caused $75,000 in damage.

Eight people and three pets were displaced. The American Red Cross was contacted to help place the families.

Several engines and trucks were dispatched, and firefighters from the Orange County Fire Authority, Fountain Valley and Garden Grove assisted with the incident, Lopez said.

— Mona Shadia

Advertisement

Twitter: @MonaShadia

Huntington Beach Independent Articles Huntington Beach Independent Articles
|
|
|