Boys' Basketball Roundup: OV peaks at right time

Seahawks hold off Northwood to win, 68-59, in CIF Southern Section Division 3A quarterfinal home game.

February 20, 2013|By Mike Sciacca
(Scott Smeltzer…)

HUNTINGTON BEACH — At one point in the 2012-13 season, the Ocean View boys' basketball team sported a 7-5 record.

On Friday , the Seahawks will play in the CIF Southern Section Division 3A semifinals.

Ocean View, the No. 4 seed, reserved a spot in the 3A Final Four by fending off a late rally by No. 5-seed Northwood for a 68-59 home-court victory Tuesday. The win sends the Seahawks, who have won 16 of their last 17 games, on to a 7 p.m. Friday matchup at top-ranked Bellflower St. John Bosco.

The Seahawks (23-6) came out strong Tuesday. They shot well and played tenacious defense, and turned an early, 6-3 deficit, into a 20-12 lead by the end of the first quarter. They extended their lead to 41-26 by halftime.

"I was really proud of the way we came out and played," Ocean View Coach Tim Walsh said. "We've been preaching about helping each other out, defending the basket, and I thought we did that very well tonight. In the second half, we looked a little tired at times and they were able to break us down a bit with penetration. They put up an unbelievable fight."


Ocean View was one of four local prep boys' basketball teams competing in playoff games at home Tuesday. In two Division 1A second-round contests, both Edison and Huntington Beach were eliminated from postseason play. The Chargers fell, 63-51, to Crescenta Valley, and the Oilers were upended, 63-53, by Valencia West Ranch. In a Division 5AA semifinal, Brethren Christian was eliminated by Sherman Oaks Buckley, 75-51.

Ocean View took its largest lead of the game, 48-29, on a basket by sophomore guard Tyler Burch off a turnover created by senior forward Reo Washington, less than three minutes into the second half. The Seahawks, however, went scoreless the final 5:18 of the third quarter but still took a 48-37 lead into the final eight minutes.

Pacific Coast League champion Northwood mounted a comeback in the fourth quarter. The Timberwolves slowly chipped away at their deficit and drew to within three points on three occasions in the final 3:39 of the game. The final time came at 62-59 on a layup by senior guard Fernando Rivas with 59 seconds remaining.

Huntington Beach Independent Articles Huntington Beach Independent Articles